The tale of a young boy born in the village Sulle Scale. it is a village of steep hills and winding stone steps. The boy spends his days helping his father drag bricks up and down the mountain and upon his father’s death, then he begins lugging wine for an affluent dealer.
Still his life is empty and he is full of lust for his cousin Lithodora. His passion and jealously of the one who holds claim to Lithodora’s heart causes him to commit a horrible crime. In his flight he stumbles down one of the many hidden paths of the mountains, a path that leads deep into the earth and his darkest desires.
First publication: Stories, all New Tales
Author(s): Joe Hill
The books, magazines and/or collections in which these titles are also published:
· Stories, all New Tales (Mysterious Press)
· Horns (1ste US paperback)
· Stories, all New Tales (William Morrow)
· Full Throttle
The book/story is published with these cover(s):
(Click image to see full cover)
Shop New York
Information about edition(s):
· The Mysterious Book Shop New York edition had a print run of #250 signed limited, #26 lettered and there are #25 ‘presentation’ copies.
· The story also appears in the back of the first US paperback edition.
The story starts as follows:
the child of a
of my birth
nested in the
ridges, high above
Positano, and in the
cold spring the clouds
crawled along the streets
like a procession of ghosts.
· The Dark Tome started their audiodrame podcast with the story split in two episodes, read more about it here.